Tuesday, August 15, 2006

John 8 - Words Drawn on the Ground

This chapter begins with Jesus teaching in the temple. I found it striking that as the Pharisees taunted Jesus, trying to trip him up by bringing an adulteress to him, and initially all He did in response was draw in the sand.

The text never says what he wrote, leaving us to wonder whether he was writing what he wanted to say to her or whether he wrote what he wished he could say to the Pharisees.

The entire chapter they challenged Him and tried to twist what He said. He retorted that if they questioned Him, they questioned His Father who sent Him. This angered them even further.

He also angered them by declaring that Abraham was not the Father that He referred to but it was Father God.

He also talked of a freedom that they could not understand.

34-38Jesus said, "I tell you most solemnly that anyone who chooses a life of sin is trapped in a dead-end life and is, in fact, a slave. A slave is a transient, who can't come and go at will. The Son, though, has an established position, the run of the house. So if the Son sets you free, you are free through and through. I know you are Abraham's descendants. But I also know that you are trying to kill me because my message hasn't yet penetrated your thick skulls. I'm talking about things I have seen while keeping company with the Father, and you just go on doing what you have heard from your father."

Let's not have thick skulls. He loves us. God loved us enough to send Him to give us freedom.

Thank God!!!!


Chicke Fitzgerald

No comments: