Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pressure yields beauty and strength

Most of us know that diamonds are the hardest known natural material in existence. Their beauty and strength is no accident.

One of the laws of nature is that pressure yields that beauty and strength. This is true not only of gems that come from the depths of the earth, but when we go through what seems like the depths of depression - from that comes strength and beauty as well.

Those that know me will attest that I rarely get to a place where there seems to be no hope. My faith carries me through most anything and even through difficult storms, I know that my life is in God's hands.

But about a month ago, I found myself in a funk that I just couldn't shake. The last year has been a difficult one, building a new company, keeping the team motivated while we raise the funds necessary to get our new product launched. I was feeling the pressure and the responsibility and it was a difficult time.

Over the past few weeks though, I have been reminded that I don't have to carry that weight and that the company wasn't mine to begin with. In remembering God's promise to not give me more than I can bear, I found that diamond strength that I needed and emerged stronger than before.

Isaiah 40:29

He gives strength to the weary, and increases the power of the weak.

During that time where I didn't see that strength and wondered if I was indeed strong enough to make it through, I remember saying to my husband that I can't imagine living with that kind of depression and despair every day without hope.

Pressure is an every day part of life. We can choose to rely on our own strength or we can remember that He who created the earth that yields diamonds has stronger and broader shoulders than we could ever have.
Phillippians 4:13

I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

I am grateful that I serve a God that cares not just about the spiritual things in my life, but the practical as well. If you suffer from depression, I pray that you will find His strength to see you through.

No comments: